Monday 18 May 2015

Memorial Day Grilling Special: Hot Dog Sausage aka �Hot Dogage�

The idea of making actual hot dogs doesn�t really interest me that much. Like French fries, and sushi, I believe hot dogs are best enjoyed out�; preferably at a baseball game, with a cold beer. However, I didn�t say anything about hotdog-inspired sausage hybrids.

This meaty mash-up came about thanks to some lamb kebab experiments. The meat mixture is prepared in a similar fashion, and while the seasonings are totally different, the firm texture of the kebab reminded me of a hot dog�s �snap.�

I wondered what would happen if I did a skewer-less kebab using the same ingredients that would typically go into a hotdog. What happened was better than I could've expected. I ended up with a fresh, mostly beef sausage, that tasted pretty much exactly like a hot dog.

Technically, this ended up being a lot closer to a bratwurst, but I�m pretty sure hot dogs are a more popular search, so that�s what I went with. As always, be sure to season these �to taste.� Just like when making meatballs, you can cook a small piece of the mixture, and adjust from there.

Like I said in the video, if you�re looking for something a little different for your Memorial Day cookout, I hope you give these hot dog sausages a try. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 4 Giants Hot Dog Sausages:
1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef (10 to 15% fat is fine)
1/4 pound ground pork
4 tsp kosher salt (1/2 ounce by weight)
2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp granulated onion powder
1/3 cup ice water