Friday 24 April 2015

Whole-Grain Blueberry Scones � Because a �Muffsconut� Isn�t a Thing

I was brainstorming some ideas for using up a cup of nearly perfect blueberries, and was waffling between muffins, donuts, and biscuits. I finally decided on a biscuit-like triangle, spiced subtly with essence of old-fashioned donut.

I�m calling it a scone because I cut it into a triangle. There�s just something un-American about a triangular biscuit, so you Brits will just have to keep a stiff upper lip about this not being an actual scone.

I used my new favorite, sprouted spelt flour, but I�m guessing this will work with whatever you roll with. You�ll also want to keep an eye on them in the oven, as the baking times will vary depending on the exact shape and thickness. They�re done when they�re well browned, and you see blueberry juices bubbling out through the top and sides.

These have that someone loves me look, especially if you do the recommended sugar-crust top, which is why I�m thinking these would be nice for Mother�s Day, or any other brunch/breakfast-in-bed type situations. I hope you give these a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 8 Whole-Grain Blueberry Scones:
2 cups spelt flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp fine salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 tbsp white sugar, optional
4 ounces ice cold butter (1/2 cup aka 1 stick) 
1 cup blueberries
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
- 425F.for about 20-25 minutes, or until well-browned and blueberry juices start bubbling out through the top and sides.